Morris County will provide safety and capacity improvements on Sussex Turnpike (CR 617) in Randolph Township. This project is funded with $4,515,475.60 in Federal dollars and $122,600.00 by Morris County. Construction will begin in Fall 2015 and is anticipated to be completed by September 14, 2016.
The Sussex Turnpike Intersection Improvement Project will include the following improvements:
- The intersection of Sussex Tpke and Dover Chester Rd will be widened to accommodate left turn lanes on all approaches. A new traffic signal will be installed. Pedestrian ramps that can accommodate persons with disabilities will be installed.
- At the intersection of Sussex Tpke and Calais Rd, Sussex Tpke will be widened to allow for installation of a westbound left turn lane into Calais Rd. Calais Rd will be realigned to form a 90 degree intersection with Sussex Tpke. Underground signal equipment will be installed for a potential future traffic signal.
- The section of Sussex Tpke between Harvey Ter and West Hanover Ave will be widened to accommodate left turn lanes at intersections.
- The traffic signal at Sussex Tpke and Millbrook Ave will be replaced and pedestrian ramps that can accommodate persons with disabilities will be installed.
- West Hanover Ave will be realigned to intersect Sussex Tpke directly across from Brookside Rd. Approximately 800 feet of West Hanover Ave will be relocated to install this improvement.
- A new traffic signal will be installed at the West Hanover Ave, Brookside Rd and Sussex Tpke interconnection. Pedestrian ramps that can accommodate persons with disabilities will be installed.
- A new detention basin will be constructed where West Hanover Ave now intersects with Sussex Tpke.
- The existing drainage system along Sussex Ave will be modified throughout the project limits (Locations not shown on map).
In concert with Randolph Township, Morris County notified adjacent property owners and held three public information sessions about the project on April 28.